OverviewGoals and Scope.
HPs overall education vision is
- to help students be prepared to succeed in the workforce of the future by making math
and science exciting and meaningful.
- to give all students the opportunity to succeed.
- to help every child enter school ready to learn.
Specific HP goals are to improve significantly science and mathematics achievement and
to increase the number of females and minorities studying and teaching science and
To achieve its goals, HP has been trying to influence the adoption of K-12 science
education standards in several states, including California. HP employees are active
members of state education commissions and are encouraged by the company to run for local
school board offices. HP also tries to form or continue partnerships with organizations
that have expertise and can add value to HPs philanthropy programs. This effort
includes alliances with such groups as the National Science Resources Center (NSRC), which
provides leadership training to school district teams. HP corporate leaders feel that such
alliances bring credibility to their programs and prevent them from having to reinvent
HP also provides direct support for schools through employee volunteers and HP
Employee Participation Support. Through a formal release-time policy,
local HP managers are encouraged to provide HP employee-volunteers with 4 hours per month
of paid time off to participate in HP-sponsored partnerships with schools, such as Science Partners. Since the policy was instituted in 1993, over
3,500 employees have used company release time to volunteer in kindergarten
through 12th grade.
Employee Product Gift Program. In 1996, HP employees and the company
together donated over $2-million in products to over 400 K-12 schools. Employees
contribute 25% of the list price, and HP absorbs the remaining 75%. Hundreds of PCs,
printers, and scanners are provided to schools through this program each year.
Hands-on Science Grants.
HPs $90,000 Hands-on Science grants are provided on a competitive basis to applying
school districts in communities where HP employees and their families live. Each grant
spans a three-year period. Evaluations have indicated that the program successfully moves
partner school districts to modular hands-on science curriculum supported by materials
replenishment systems, professional development of teachers, appropriate assessment, and
administrative and community support.
Middle School Pilot. As students
graduate from HP Hands-on elementary school programs, there is increased demand for
improvement in middle- and high-school programs. In 1997, HP launched a pilot to extend HP
support to the middle- and high-school programs at all HP grant sites in Colorado and one
site in California. West Ed, a Research and
Development lab of the U.S. Department of Education, is working with HP on this effort.
Recently, the HP contributions board agreed to fund a second year of the
middle-school/high-school program at the level of $150,000.
HP Science Partners. As part of the
initial process under HPs Hands-on Science Grants, the HP Science Partners Program
recruits HP scientists on a volunteer basis to help their local school districts and the
teachers plan a K-6 elementary science program that is hands-on and inquiry-oriented. In
some instances, such as in Corvallis, Oregon, recruitment of HP volunteers isnt
necessary: individual HP scientists have been known to lead the way in encouraging their
local school systems to apply for an HP grant.
New Initiatives. In 1997, HP committed
$4-million over five years to a new Diversity in Education Initiative and funded four
university and K-12 school partnerships that begin or expand effective programs serving
African American, American Indian, Latino, and female students.
Students in the program will be engaged in science and math from kindergarten to the
time they graduate from college. Students and educators will be linked across all grade
levels and supported by a number of HP departments.
HP School District Contacts. There are lead
Science Partners for most of the schools working with HP to improve their science
education programs. Go to the Details for HP School District Contacts names and phone
the HP Model for Corporate Involvement. Go to Details for a look at how the
HP model for corporate involvement developed.
and Contacts. See Details for key contact names and phone numbers within HP.